[thechat] O Brother, drugs, movies, and hats

Tara Cleveland taracc at home.com
Wed Oct 24 16:31:36 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm always a little wary when people characterize depression as being simply situational (although situation can certainly affect and trigger depression). Don't forget that depression is an illness and has a
physical basis. I have personally been attacked, by a very close friend who obviously didn't realise what she was saying when she argued that depressed people (including I guess me) are weak and simply don't
have the willpower to "get over it" (whatever "it" is), ignoring the fact that she would never tell someone with cancer or heart disease to just "get over it". Having said that, I do agree that antidepressants
are probably over prescribed.

I was prescribed an antidepressant by my doctor (Zoloft). However, after doing a bit of research online and talking to some friends who were taking various antidepressants, I decided not to get the
prescription filled. I started taking St. John's Wort instead (after consulting with my doctor) and saw a shrink for about a year. It worked out very well for me and I can function again as a normal,
productive person.  I'm still on a very low dose of St. John's Wort (a couple of years later) and I had no problems reducing the dosage. I read that in Germany, St. John's Wort is one of the most prescribed
anti-depressants for mild to moderate depression. But I do agree that for very severe depression it probably won't be effective.

Unfortunately, St. John's Wort shouldn't be taken at the same time as a regular anti-depressant, so it's not much help to you Terry. I thought I would mention it as an alternative to regular antidepressants
though.

Anyway, good luck Terry, and hang in there.

Regards,
Tara

PS - What did you think of the O Brother soundtrack? I thought it was fantastic!

Erika Meyer wrote:

You might consider looking into some holistic medicine to help with the process.

and

I know so many single mothers on antidepressants... the doctors want
to help but they can't change the situation.  So it's like:  "You're
under stress - angry, upset, no money, crappy job.  Take these pills,
then.  You'll feel better."