[thechat] O Brother, drugs, movies, and hats

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Oct 25 02:03:00 CDT 2001

Quackamoe wrote on 25/10/01 1:14 am

>As for O Brother, again, WOW. And as for the sound
>track, on my next visit to Amazon.com it goes on my
>wishlist. I forgot that I love 30s type country music.

It's fantastic - a lot of the songs on there my mum &
dad had on a Reader's Digest (yes really) compilation
LP many many years ago, so I could sing along with
stuff like Angel Band when I watched the movie.

>Heh, listening to Celtic music and talking about
>country at the same time reminds me that Irish and
>Scottish immigrants who ended up escaping the wretched
>cities for the hill country form a significant basis
>for what is now country music.

There was a great TV documentary series on about
10 years ago - Bringing it all back Home - which
traced how Irish music went to the US, formed a major
part of country music and then returned home, changed.

There is a double CD soundtrack to that although I've
not seen it on sale for a while.

They've got the likes of the Everly Brothers singing
Irish songs, and current Irish artistes like Michael
O'Suillibhean.

Also worth listening to is the Byrds - there was a big
wave of Scottish (and English too) folk music which
hit American music in the 60s. The Byrds covered
John Riley and Wild Mountain Thyme on Fifth
Dimension.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland