[thechat] O Brother, drugs, movies, and hats

seb seb at members.evolt.org
Thu Oct 25 18:52:28 CDT 2001

> Thanks for the replies. This was a good time to not
> be ignored! :)
>
> The mothers little helpers and such things mentioned
> are mainly tranquilizers whereas Paxil tries to level
> out the amount of serotonin in the brain so I think
> there is a quantifiable difference. Of all the crap
> I'm feeling right now depression is not one of them.
> So, maybe it worked. We'll see. OTH, the xanax that
> I'm taking to minimize the withdrawal symptoms IS a
> tranquilizer. Wonder how hard it's going to be to get
> off that??

Xanax. Hmm.

Personally, I try not to go near benzodiazepines. That's just me, and I have
a general phobia of tranquilizers due to the difficulty of withdrawal. To
reduce the effects of Paroxitine Hydrochloride (paxil), I would only ever
consider in the order of 25 - 50 microgram dosage, and then only at night to
aid restful sleep. But that's me, and you + your doctor will know your
situation better.

It has been suggested that the improved panic disorder response during low
dosage Xanax administration as opposed to high dosage (see
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=9723127&dopt=Abstract ) is more due to the placebo effect of
adminstration rather than being attributed to the dosage.

Oh yeah, I'm a manic depressive who did a chemistry degree. My best friend
is a pharmacologist doing a PhD into the effect of neuroactive
pharmaceuticals. We joke that I make a great guinea pig. :)

> As for O Brother, again, WOW. And as for the sound
> track, on my next visit to Amazon.com it goes on my
> wishlist. I forgot that I love 30s type country music.
> Heh, listening to Celtic music and talking about
> country at the same time reminds me that Irish and
> Scottish immigrants who ended up escaping the wretched
> cities for the hill country form a significant basis
> for what is now country music.

Still trying to get to see O Brother. Dammit.

> Now I have to figure out why my 2 USB ports quite
> working. If I can stay on my butt that long.

Isn't that a bitch? My job is 100% sedentary. I end up scooting the chair
across the office every 10 minutes. Takes some explaining.

> Again, thanks lots and lots for the replies and
> support

Always welcome.

Seb.