Remakes - (wuz - RE: [thechat] Flashthread! - what are you listening to RIGHT NOW!)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Fri Oct 26 16:40:09 CDT 2001

Hi Deke | Joel,

Good Points all around.  (And more neat stuff I'll have to give a listen
too - thanks!)

However ... (I just had a 'DOH!' style forehead slapping moment here)
... we kinda missed genre remakes.  e.g. Just about every Blues great
ever has remade one or more of the "classics" ... Dust My Broom,
CrossCut Saw, etc. ... and a whole bunch of those are pretty dang good,
IMO!

[I presume, (although my personal knowledge is limited), that the same
occurs in Gospel, Bluegrass, 'Folk', and some other areas.]

Maybe it's a 'semantic' issue.  Maybe we need some new terms to cover
the qualitative difference between Robbin Ford redoing Magic Sam ... and
Brooks and Dunn redoing John Waite (or Lyle Lovett doing Queen!).

Then again - is it really "fair" to say a vocalist has done a 'remake'
when they make no pretense at composing?   [I'd kinda hate to call Kiri
te Kanawa, Beverly Sills, or Ella Fitzgerald a 'remake artist'.]

Hmmmmm ...

RonL.