Remakes - (wuz - RE: [thechat] Flashthread! - what are you listening to RIGHT NOW!)

judah at wiredotter.com judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Oct 26 17:08:05 CDT 2001

At 01:37 PM 10/26/2001 -0700, you wrote:
><snip>
>Steve Ray Vaughan - Things That I Used to Do - this is simply the most
>amazing blues guitar solo on record. Just goes on and on, get wilder and
>more controlled at the same time. Leaves me breathless with sweaty palms
>every time I hear it. (I think my neighbors are beginning to like it too.
>They mention it often after I've been listening.)
</snip>

Ok, I have to dispute that Things I Used to Do is the most amazing blues
guitar solo on record.  I would have to give that nod to his version of
Little Wing on Sky Is Crying.  That solo has everything imaginable that a
guitar can do.  And it all works together.

So I'd also have to put Little Wing out as a remake better than the original.

I might also put in Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers over the Stevie
Wonder version.

And a tough call on Nirvana's Unplugged performance of Man Who Stole the
World vs. the Bowie original.

I'm sure that there are more that I can't think of at the moment...

Judah