[thechat] Calling all whisky fans...

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun Nov 18 04:02:20 CST 2001

Kevin Stevens wrote on 18/11/01 12:03 am

>> Now I don't want to make a song & dance about this, but take a look at
>> http://www.malts.com/
>
>Hi Martin
>             Finally got some free time to have a look round your site,
>except I couldn't because it wouldn't let me in. I checked the box, clicked
>the button, blocked 3 cookies cos I don't see the point of them, and was
>re-directed to the age verification page again. Surely not letting someone
>into the site because they won't accept cookies is a bad idea. It mentions
>cookies in your T&C, but says nothing about having to accept them.

Hi Kev

This is what happens when you work in a regulated industry like
alcohol...

The age checker kicks in on every page, as we've got to age check
people even if they come in via a link to an internal page. As
we're providing ecards and mail to a friend functionalities,
this is kind of important.

To make life a bit easier so you only have to do the agecheck once
per user on any given machine, we set a cookie to let us know
"Hey, we know Kev's allowed in", kind of like the handstamp
some bars use in the US.

The agecheck cookie is pretty obvious if you're watching what
it sets: agecheck = y

At least you don't have to give your date of birth - we won that
bit of the argument with the legal people.

Cheers
Martin.

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland