[thechat] leonids

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 17:30:39 CST 2001

--- r937 at interlog.com wrote:
> so, did anybody see anything?

Well, from 9pm to 1am we were catching up on
Enterprise
episodes that my daughter's been recording for us. No
UPN till Jan 1, 2002. Hmph.

At 1am we took sleeping bags and cots out into the
back yard laid there and watched meteors till 3:15am
PST. From 1am to 2am they were going about 5-6 per
minute. After 2 they increased to 8-10 per minute.
 From
about 2:45 to a little after 3 it seemed to get up to
about 15 per minute. Then between being sleepy, it
getting really cold, and the frequency decreasing we
all headed for bed. My son came home from the cast
party for Hesperia High School's 'Midsummer Night's
Dream' and 4am and says there were still some then.

It was great; my only question is why can't anything
like this happen in August? (In the northern
hemisphere
that is.)

> i got up at 4:30 a.m. but it was clouded over --
> drat and dagnabit!

Not a cloud in the sky until around 3am, but that was
just hazy clouds on the southern horizon. And Jupiter
was right in the middle of it all. There was one
nice meteor that, to our perspective, looked like it
came right out of Jupiter. Kool.

> and to think it was crystal clear at 11 p.m. -- the
> kids and i were out with
> binocs looking at jupiter (we think we saw one moon)
> and the orion nebula

Saw Jupiter and Orion's Belt, I think it was Mars
that was about halfway between those two. There was
a nice blue star down towards the horizon from Orion.
Anybody have a guess as to what it might have been?

> check this out --
> http://vis.sdsc.edu/research/orion.html -- the 15meg
>
> quicktime seemed to be broken, but the 29meg mpeg
> worked great

This'll have to wait till I get back to work on the
26th. Out here in the Mojave desert my broadband
options are still satellite - US$70/mo, ISDN - US$240
per mo with Verizon's new approach to ISDN, and T1.
Guess I SOL (Still out of luck) for a while. People
3 miles from me have cable modems, but I can't. And
DSL isn't even offered. If it was I still  couldn't
get it 'cuz I'm like 1800 feet too far from the
whatever thingamawhatsit.

BUT, we get great meteor viewage!

Terry