[thechat] war phase 2

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Nov 27 15:20:25 CST 2001

Ron White wrote:

> Can't just dump them, they have to be specially handled. The cuts show that
> we are working towards disarmament, its just going to take a long time to
> get rid of things that took decades to stockpile...

The opportunity we had at the end of the cold war was for abolition. For
a universal declaration that these nuclear weapons things are just plain
a bad idea. It's an area of weaponry which is simply to heinous to be
comprehensible.

Of course, this would have taken bold leadership.

And thus, humanity continues along its treacherous path.

Here are some sobering links:
http://www.harvardmagazine.com/archive/01mj/mj01_rn_3.html
http://info.ox.ac.uk/departments/humanities/rose/battle.html

And mind you, that's warfare *without* the atomic bomb.
With it - well, here it is:
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/abomb/mp10.htm

And the bombs used, and targets available, were much smaller than the
bombs available now, and more, the *targets* available now.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>