[thechat] "Trolling" (was: war phase 2)

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Tue Nov 27 16:04:34 CST 2001

Goodness, right now I wish I wasn't on digest...

>Gah!  I'm too much of a moderate here.  But I give a damn.  I'll do my
>best to stay above the level of trolling...

-----
Hi Ben!
-----

Hi Erika!

We need to get together for lunch or coffee before my bank account withers
down to zero.

-----
I don't see opinionated opinions as "trolling," at least not on this
list.  Isn't trolling equivalent "trolling for flames?"  I rarely see
flames on the chat.

We aren't trolling, we're discussing.

eh?
-----

When I opened the post the skepticism evident in your comments had me
peeved, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that you were
doing your best to think it through and that I should dignify your effort
by making the same effort.

That wasn't my original plan, though.  *grin*

Cue to FDR:  "The only thing we have to fear... is fear itself."

And that's why I was peeved.

If we're afraid and stay that way, terrorists win.  Period, end of line,
sentence, paragraph, story.  The genesis of the fear doesn't matter.  The
WTC was destroyed to tear our community apart, and so far it's hard to say
if the succeeded or not...

I can relate to the fears that you made clear at the end of the post to
which I responded, but I wonder about the extent to which they're getting
you down.  And not just you - a LOT of people.  Hell, that includes me.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."