[thechat] war phase 2

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Nov 27 16:11:03 CST 2001

On 27 Nov 2001, at 12:09, Erika Meyer posted a message which said:

> I don't see opinionated opinions as "trolling," at least not on this
> list.  Isn't trolling equivalent "trolling for flames?"  I rarely see
> flames on the chat.

Trolling isn't necessarily for flames. It's posting something that is
designed to draw a predictable response. Dangling a hook, so to
speak, and fishing for someone to bite.

If you post something on a state-oriented newsgroup, saying, oh,
does State University have a football team, you aren't going to get
flames, but you *are* going to get a predictable response....

deke

*Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,
my grandmother used to say, "The black cat is always the last one off
the fence." I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was
undoubtedly true. --
                       Solomon Short