[thechat] war phase 2

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Nov 27 17:04:21 CST 2001

Erika Meyer wrote:

> On the freedoms of the US being a result of nationalism, bloodshed, and
> warfare:
>
> other far-less positive things are also a result of nationalism,
> bloodshed, & warfare.  For example, the degradation of the environment
> (land stolen from Indigenous and exploited/polluted for profit), the
> breakdown in the family (especially amongst minorities),
> inter-generational child molestation, rape, destruction of culture and
> languages, drug abuse, etc etc.

I'll briefly note that you are not disputing my point - that bloodshed
in itself *has* paradoxically created freedoms for people in the USA.

With each argument, Erika, you bring into it this wide swath of
injustice around the world - and I simply don't see how, say, child
abuse factors into a discussion about nation-states and warfare. Perhaps
that's my own lack of imagination - or perhaps it's a measure of my
desire to debate practicalities, rather than idealities (is that a
word?). Focus can make debate more constructive.

I'd love to be able to be smart enough to have 100% focus on justice for
everyone around the world at all times, but I simply can't hold that
much justice in my head at once. By parsing these issues down I think we
can make headway.

At least, to my way of thinking.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>