[thechat] war phase 2

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Nov 27 18:19:33 CST 2001

Hi Joe:

Yes, I tend to have a very holistic point of view and see
relationships others don't see.

Violence breeds violence, but like a shape shifter, it manifests
itself in many forms.

Child abuse is passed down through generations.  You see cultural
differences in different groups regarding how they regard violence in
child-rearing.

Example:  Traditional North American Indigenous culture recoils at
the use of  violence against children.

However, once the tribes were rendered powerless (via war), their
children were kidnapped and sent to US government boarding schools
where they were beaten for speaking their language, for practicing
their religion, and for various other cultural behaviors.  In
addition, the employees at these schools often molested the children.
There was no one to protect these innocents.

Meanwhile, other Indigenous women & female children were kidnapped
and raped, or "married" to settlers who needed a woman/slave.  Some
intermarriages were voluntary, others were not.  Domestic violence
featured in.

(Through genealogical research I have traced a lot of problems --
including domestic violence, land theft, and child neglect -- back in
my own Indigenous family, to intermarriage and boarding school
kidnappings -- not hard to do as it all occurred within the last 3-4
generations.)

This is all a result of the defeat of Indigenous nations by the
United States via war.

The Indigenous traditional systems were (deliberately) broken to
bits, and if you want to see the results, visit the rez.

I also think that the violence that exits in African American
communities is largely a result of the legacy of slavery.

<wrap>
http://www.straightblack.com/culture/African-American-Articles/African-American-Slavery-Reparations.html
<wrap>

And we shouldn't forget that white Europeans spent around 300 years
terrorizing, torturing and murdering their own women for the alleged
practice of witchcraft.

And oh yeah, there's the sex trade which services lonely soldiers.
Is selling a 14 year old into prostitution child abuse?

This is all about war, power, conquest.   This is the legacy.  Maybe
you don't see it, but I do.

Love,

Erika