[thechat] pure evil: Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 16:12:36 CST 2001

I'm going to stick my oar in here and muddy things up a bit. I seem to have
settled in to a way of thinking over the past couple of years where I just
find all this kind of thing ridiculous. I am no longer amazed or shocked by
our capacity to shaft our fellow humans at every given opportunity. Although
I honestly think that the tobacco companies are doing this because their
backs are against the wall with all these stupid lawsuits[1] being bought
against them, I do love the cynical idea that their investment is purely to
provide longevity in their customers and, therefore, allowing said customers
to spend more on their products.
Congratulations on standing up for your principals, I like to think I do the
same thing, but is a bit soul destroying when you realise that your stance
means nothing because there are a hundred other people who don't give a damn
and will jump at the opportunity of making a quick profit, regardless of
anyone else.

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk

[1] I am referring to all the people who have (successfully) sued the
tobacco companies because of smoking related diseases. As if, for some
reason, the idea of inhaling burning leaves is not going to do you any harm