[thechat] pure evil: Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Mon Dec 3 19:57:47 CST 2001

At 22:30 03/12/2001, you wrote:
>>  Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs
>>  > http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/2001/11/13/FFX8YC44XTC.html
>
>Many companies make cancer-causing chemicals AND cancer treatment
>drugs.  And have done so for years.

How many sell them in nearly every grocer's store in the western world,
advertise them as cool for 50 years, give them away to children in third
world countries, and then deny all knowledge and responsibility for nearly
two decades?

I only ask because I'm addicted to smoking, knowing full well that it's my
own fault, and would be quite happy if cigarettes were: a) not going to
kill me, b) not available in every shop I go into, and c) not dipped in
further addictive, toxic chemicals on top of the addictive, toxic chemicals
already in tobacco.

I could go drink a pint of PCBs filtered from local sea-water, but I
somehow doubt it's quite as addictive.

Erika, I know you way better than to think that you're saying something is
right just because it's popular, and I think the work CAT has done is
exemplary. Now, if the cigarette companies would stop making tobacco and
make cancer drugs instead, I'd be really happy.

Oh crap, it's 2am and I'm drunk and ranting. Time for another fag before I
go to sleep.

Seb.