[thechat] pure evil: Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Mon Dec 3 19:57:49 CST 2001

At 20:16 03/12/2001, you wrote:
>Awww Spin, it's the ultimate in vertical integration, my man!

Horizontal, surely? Or are you planning to be buried standing up?

>Which is better or more 'moral'?  An industry that spends 50 years
>sticking their head in the sand - denying and attacking any evidence
>that smoking causes lung cancer ... or an industry that might spend the
>next 50 years researching drugs and techniques to prevent lung cancer -
>EVEN IF the only reason they do so is to make more money off smokers?

I'm going to answer that question with another question.

What's better, or more fun? A world where we pay multi-national companies
for an addictive substance that will kill 50% of its users, or a world
where we burn those companies to the ground and grow our own?

Of course, both questions are posed in such a way that there are no other
options. Personally, I'd burn all the bastards to the ground, and then get
a little of that old-style retribution on with those governments that see
fit to patent parts of my body, even my diseases.

Anyway, 'nuff chatting. I'm off to see a man about some gasoline and torches.

Seb.