[thechat] BBC won't use the word "terrorism"

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Dec 4 13:49:25 CST 2001

Seb wrote:

>At 15:24 03/12/2001, you wrote:
>>The BBC World Service has taken a policy decision not to describe
>>the attacks on the US as "terrorism".
>
><quote>
>He said US networks regarded the attacks on Afghanistan as a
>football match with Washington as the home team.
></quote>

sounds pretty damn accurate to me.

>The world's going to hell in a hand-basket, and those in power in
>the western world are running around like kids in a gun store, with
>absolutely no idea of the consequences.

now you sound like me.

What I currently find amusing (in the US) is how the "terror alerts"
are floating now "beneath the fold."  I suppose eventually they'll be
buried in the back pages, along with the (alleged) civilian
casualties.

Eventually, we'll all come to tolerate and accept ongoing state of
war.  It will be like the cold war, only it will be the terror war.

But don't worry... General Electric will do just fine.