[thechat] IT is here!

Chris Spruck cspruck at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 4 14:39:47 CST 2001

At 11:44 AM 12/4/01 -0800, Erika Meyer wrote:
>it could just help us wean our fat asses off oil.

Off oil and onto what, though? I'm guessing the most popular answer (or at
least the easiest and most "politically correct" in certain circles - not
mine though) to that would be "coal" - not particularly friendly to the
environment either when you consider greenhouse gases and strip mining.
US$3000 for one of those things?? NOT BLOODY LIKELY. At a serious stretch,
I'd maybe think about getting one if half of that cost (which at 3K would
still be too high IMO) went directly towards building a windmill or solar
farm near my location. Maybe the consumer models will cost less when
they're available late next year. At least come up with solar or wind
powered chargers for the things! Oh, and I'd like a billion dollars too.
That'd probably be easier.

You want to change the world?? Revolutionize solar cell efficiency or
develop some crazy new wind or tidally powered generator that uses
renewable resources or has virtually no impact. Do something like THAT and
I'll be impressed.

Completely underwhelmed by IT,
Chris