[thechat] LotR

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 14:47:32 CST 2001

Sorry, this will appear twice because I am not on my computer and the mail
was sent as HTML

I have to admit to being totally unenthusiastic about both the Harry Potter
film and the forthcoming Lord of the Rings films, mainly because I enjoyed
the books so much and don't want to be disappointed if the on screen visuals
don't match my idea of what everything should look like. However, after
reading my parent's right wing Sunday newspaper mags I have found out that
LotR is directed by Peter Jackson. I am a huge fan of his early work, like
Bad Taste, Braindead and Meet the Feebles, but the idea that he could come
out with a credible mainstream film seems highly suspect to me. I mean, have
you seen any of those films? Bad Taste is one of the most disgusting films I
have ever seen, and Meet the Feebles is like the Muppets on bad acid. How on
earth is it possible for a guy who makes films such as those can suddenly
end up in charge of a $190 million project, one that could be the most
popular film ever?
The aforementioned mag came with a CD-ROM that included all 3 of the
trailers, and I have to admit they looked pretty good. I can't help thinking
that what you don't see in the trailers is the scenes with vomit gags and
people wandering about with half their head falling off. This must be the
same Peter Jackson surely? Somebody tell me I'm not dreaming!

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk