[thechat] IT is here!

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Dec 4 15:26:13 CST 2001

Chris wrote:

>US$3000 for one of those things?? NOT BLOODY LIKELY.

The price may drop.

My dad paid $5,000 for our first computer w/ CP/M OS.
The daisy wheel printer was another big spendy chunk...

anyway, if this thing truly becomes a realistic automotive substitute
(for small distances) I think it could be a good thing.

Road rage... how can you be enraged while riding such a silly-looking device?

>At a serious stretch, I'd maybe think about getting one if half of
>that cost (which at 3K would still be too high IMO) went directly
>towards building a windmill or solar farm near my location.

yeah, I'm a dreamer too.

>You want to change the world?? Revolutionize solar cell efficiency
>or develop some crazy new wind or tidally powered generator that
>uses renewable resources or has virtually no impact. Do something
>like THAT and I'll be impressed.

And there's the rub.  We could have been doing this already, but
there is too much profit to be made off of gas, oil, etc.  & too much
power already in the hands of those who profit from those industries.

If this thing ever really threatens automotive transport in the USA,
there will be a backlash.

Erika