[thechat] HELP!!! - Linux disaster

Chris and Danielle Johnston cdjohnston4 at rogers.com
Wed Dec 5 18:19:59 CST 2001

I hope this is the place to put this.

I have fried my Linux installation as far as I can tell.

This is what I tried to do:
I tried to install new video drivers for my nvidia video card.

This is what happened:
When I rebooted my computer, where my nice little graphical login screen
should be, there is now what can only be described as a colour test
pattern.

Therefore, my question is this, how do you boot into "safe mode" using
Linux? I need someway to boot to the command prompt without letting
xwindows start up. So far everything I have tried has failed. Here are
the specs for the machine:

Red Hat 7.2
Gnome (Ximian Desktop)
Grub boot loader
Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS video card.

Not sure if the Linux gurus need anything else.

Please help, my only other option is to reinstall Linux, which I don't
want to do.

Thanks,

/chris