[thechat] sport and life?

Jeremy Ashcraft ashcraft at 13monkeys.com
Thu Dec 6 10:16:42 CST 2001

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 15:36, deke  wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2001, at 13:20, Luther, Ron posted a message which said:
> > Not sure it "counts" as a sport, but I'm in a weekly bowling league.
> > [Some people tend to discount sports you can play with a cigarette
> > hanging out of your mouth and a bottle of beer in one hand .. dang
> > philestines!]
>
> I'm trying to think of any sports you *can't* play that way. Pole
> vaulting would be difficult, but there are one-armed golfers.

Now I can actually say that I've pole vaulted with a cigarette hanging out of
my mouth, but not whilst holding a beer.  I've set the bottle down on the
runway before vaulting, but never held one.  I'll have to try that some time.

I'm still pretty active in vaulting as I now coach high school track and
still jump in about 4-5 meets a year.  I'm even heading out to a pole vault
"convention" in Reno in January.  Its more of a  social event/clinic than it
is a competition, but its still a great time.

OK, i do have one question, and be honest.

How many of you have pole vaulted before?

It seems that every time I tell someone that I pole vault, I hear "I tried
that one time back in school and nearly broke my neck!  You fuckers are
crazy!"

Anyone else with a story like that?

jeremy
<!-- start link whore section -->