[thechat] OSX/Appletalk help

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Fri Dec 7 17:43:34 CST 2001

>I'm trying to connect my G3 back up to my LaserWriter4/600,
>which as you might know is an AppleTalk printer without
>an ethernet interface.
>
>So it has to be via the olde faithful printer port, the way it used
>to be back in the days (last week) of OS9.01 and under.
>
>But in the Networking control panel, the Printer port doesn't
>have an Appletalk option. And it seems to have disappeared
>from Classic too.

Isn't there a generic 'turn on appletalk' button somewhere in
networking? sorry to be overly vague, but i updated to 9.21 a while
back and have been waiting for 10.1 update cds for over 9 weeks
(billed by apple 8 weeks ago).

>Anyone with ideas? Otherwise I've got an LW 4/600 going
>spare...

Another idea: try to grab a serial / usb or serial / ethernet (do
they exist?) dongle thing-a-me. Shouldn't cost too much. Don't biff
it, it's a classic!

>Cheers
>Martin

Cheers