[thechat] Linux install stuffz

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Wed Dec 12 11:55:16 CST 2001

At 09:45 AM 12/12/2001 -0500, Chris wrote:
<snip>
>Haven't decided on what to do about mail yet.

</snip>

I've become a quite a fan of Qmail (http://www.qmail.org/).

It's small, fast, and modular.  And it doesn't get compromised.
And its not Sendmail.  And its not a big gaping security hole.
And its not Sendmail. (oh wait, I already said that.)

Also by the same author of qmail (djb not to be confused with our own
illustrious djc) is a BIND replacement, djbdns.  You can find a link on his
home page at http://cr.yp.to

Definitely read the docs before installing these pieces of software.  There
are a couple of oddities in each piece of software owing largely to djb's
maniacal insistence on following RFC's even when nothing else on the
internet does.

But, that being said, he does make great software with very few security holes.

Judah