[thechat] New Year's resolution

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 12:14:45 CST 2001

<DOH!>Sent this to the admin address by accident (sorry guys). Wondered why
it didn't show up</DOH!>

Hi Gang
           OK, I've had it with Microsoft! I took the time and trouble to
learn ASP, a Microsoft language, but if I want to upgrade to XP I will have
to shell out £400 for the Professional version. So, my New Year's resolution
is to get into Linux and learn PHP. I have my old machine sitting around
doing nothing so I'm going to install Linux on that, but I have a couple of
questions...

1. I only have room for 1 monitor, and during the (probably) lengthy
transitional period I will still be using my Windows machine most of the
time. Is it possible to run 2 computers using 1 monitor? My idea is to have
a Y lead connecting both machines to 1 monitor that I can flick a switch on
to view either one. Anyone know if this possible, and what such a lead would
be called?

2. I know a lot of people who are cosy with Linux and can offer me
assistance, Garrett has kindly offered to come round and install it for me
for the measly cost of beer & pizza (and heaven knows the poor boy needs
fattening up), but I am more comfortable with a good reference book that I
can go through in my spare time. What book recommendations do any of you
have for a complete novice to use, preferably without the word "Dummies" in
the title?

TIA

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk