[thechat] OS X ephemera...

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Fri Dec 14 14:46:38 CST 2001

>On 07:40 PM 12/13/2001, Andrew Forsberg said to me:
>>http://osx.hyperjeff.net/links.html
>
>Oh...wow... *goes slackjawed*
>
>--Ben

Yea, it's quite handy for all the stuff you thought you should be
able to do, but can't see how to. If Netinfo were a person I'd really
like to give it a good bitch-slapping. :) I mean, honestly, it takes
10 minutes max to sort out shared NFS drives with the good old
command line... Netinfo had me pulling at my teeth. The site above
had a couple of good NFS on MacOSX links that detailed the full
horror of netinfo.

I was going to say that google was good for looking up OS X stuff,
but I've a feeling that "OS X" is a bit on the tricky side (three
characters between two words). I couldn't for the life of me refind
this article with google:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/07/17/xfree86_install.html

Could only find it by going through the categories on oreillynet.
Even their search thing failed miserably. Nice article, definitely
adds value to OS X to be able to run standard X apps.

Last OS X complaint: #$@#@@#$@#$@# Apple Australia are @#$@#@#$@
STILL sitting on my OS X 10.1 upgrade. GRRR GRRR GRRR. I wish I could
sound scary on the phone, but I end up being all too nice to
(self-effacing, blame-dodging) middle-men-&-women who assure me I'm
on a "list". :) How hard is it to stick addresses on cd packaging,
and throw it in the post? Surely arranging manual credit card
transfers is more complex, but they managed that over two and a half
months ago. GRR GRRRRR GRRR again!

Coffee time for me I think.

Andrew
--