[thechat] How much memory does Linux need?

Chris and Danielle Johnston cdjohnston4 at rogers.com
Sat Dec 15 21:57:50 CST 2001

Hello,

I have just reinstalled Red Hat 7.2 onto my machine and everything seems
to be running much better now. I was even able to get MySQL, PHP, and
Apache up and running thanks to apache toolbox.

But... When I run the memory usage monitor, the computer seems to be
using all of my memory and I have 640 megs of the stuff. Is this normal?
Under win2k, at the worst, I usually only end up using about 300 megs of
the stuff.

I thought Linux was less memory intensive then windows?

Thanks,

/chris