[thechat] What Osama really said

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon Dec 17 13:37:43 CST 2001

On Monday, December 17, 2001, at 06:48  pm, Erika Meyer wrote:

>>> Are your tax dollars paying for this?
>>
>> Not taxes - license fees. You only pay if you have
>> a TV and it's not collected or used by the government.
>
> oh yeah, that weird TV money you guys have to pay.
> & if you don't... do TV cops come & take your TV?

Close - they fine you about a thousand pounds

> Is it a lot of money?

I think it's about a hundred quid a year - you can pay
monthly though. It also pays for all of BBC Radio, which
is pretty damned good.

> What about cable?

...is extra. The License fee is for having a television
in the house. Cable's about a tenner a month or so.

> I'd pay TV money if I could stop the commercials.

Yeah well - we have 2 commercial free channels, but
the rest have much fewer ads than most US TV I've seen.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,