[thechat] pilot's license, anyone?

dave mclean dave at members.evolt.org
Thu Dec 27 02:21:19 CST 2001

On 2001.12.26 19:04, Warden, Matt wrote:

> I was wondering if any of you have a license and what you think about
> it. They also have a intro class that's an hour on the ground and an hour
> on one of their "press here to fly" planes. That would get me the
> experience I want and it's only $55, but... damn... i want that license.
>
> Any thoughts?

Did it, got it.

First off, as a hobby it's really friggin' expensive.  Sure, you can get
your license in under $3000 USD, but that's based on complete minimum times.
So, after books, licensing fees and other equipment it will probably be
closer to $5000.  Then there's dedication to the trade... you can get your
license if you go once a week, but guaranteed you will take *many* more
hours to get it.

Once you get your license you then need to rent a plane (or buy one) to go
flying.  These days at the regional airport I pay $85 CDN per hour of engine
time (Start-up to Shut-down), at the International airport I was paying
closer to $110 CDN per hour... your mileage may vary, so to speak.

Now, having said all of this... should you get your license?

Only, if you want to feel the coolest feeling alive by taking a craft under
your own command in the three-dimensional world of flight.  Flying ROCKS,
and I'd never take back my flying lessons.  It is one of the best
experiences of my life and I could swap flying stories with you to the end
of your days.

As a hobby it is expensive... but it's really worth it.  You just have to be
dedicated to it, or it will smack you down like the fury of god.  Flying is
a perishable skill and the more concentrated you are on getting your
training finished (although the learning never really ends...), the more
your license will be worth.

Hope this helps.

If nothing else, go for the introductory flight and see how you feel in a
small airplane.

-d

____
damclean 403.708.6215