[thechat] LOTR!

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Thu Dec 27 14:07:35 CST 2001

Martin wrote:

> On Thursday, December 27, 2001, at 07:56  pm, Joe Crawford wrote:
>
>> Teaching a child that certain things are /false/ is quite comforting
>> somehow.
>

> True, but it's hard to do that definitively. I was at a talk by
> Umberto Eco and he was telling how he was having problems
> doing this with his daughter.

<snips>

Indeed and Amen!

Which is why skepticism and logic must be trained. Well, it's on TV -
how can we see what is true? How do we know what is true? We must doubt
as the default. Nothing is *definitive* - but by giving children the
tools to think, we serve them well.

	- joe <http://artlung.com/blog/>