[thechat] Linux on a network

Mike King mike.king at redroom.co.uk
Sat Dec 29 10:27:27 CST 2001

At 14:03 29/12/2001, Kevin Stevens wrote...
>This is only a temporary
>measure until I learn enough about Linux to set up the machine as a gateway.

Kev,

I'd readily recommend the GPL version of http://smoothwall.org/ for the
firewall machine.
I'm using at home, with Win/Linux/Mac and FreeServe ADSL (it's the only
firewall I found that could handle the USB frog modem)

The great thing is that it also has a DMZ so that you can host your
external facing machines (SMTP/POP/HTTP) without another firewall machine.

>And while I have your attention, does anybody run SETI on a Linux machine
>and is it easy to install?

Peice of pish, just get the files from
<http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html> extract em and run from a
terminal window... There's even a graphical viewer for xwindows.

Laters
mk

--
http://www.redroom.co.uk