[thechat] Linux on a network

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Sat Dec 29 20:00:08 CST 2001

At 14:03 29/12/2001, you wrote:
>Hi all
>        Hope you had a good Xmas :)

Same to all. Mine was spent with family, which was interesting as Christmas
always is.

>My New Year's resolution to learn Linux is in full swing. I have got a copy
>of Mandrake 8.1 installed on one machine which is one of 3 on my network. We
>have also splashed out on a cable modem, installed on my Win ME box, and I
>have the software for a second Windows machine to share the connection but I
>can't seem to get the Linux one to do it. I have run through the wizards to
>no avail, any of you Linux gurus have any ideas? This is only a temporary
>measure until I learn enough about Linux to set up the machine as a gateway.

I currently have my linux (mdk 8) box running as a gateway with my alcatel
frog modem and linked to the other machines.

Basically, you'll need to do the following as root:

[you at yourhost]# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

and in /etc/sysconfig/network

FORWARD_IPV4=true

Then, all you need to do is delete your default route:

[you at yourhost]# route del default

And add a new one that reflects the device name used by your network device
(for me this is PPP0) :

[you at yourhost]# route add default dev ppp0

I'm guessing you're using NTL as a cable provider? Try this HOWTO:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jandg-cooper/home_network/gateway.html

>And while I have your attention, does anybody run SETI on a Linux machine
>and is it easy to install?

I run it on linux, win2k, winxp, and solaris.

To run on linux, download it from http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/unix.html
and issue a

[you at yourhost]# tar zxvf setiathome-packagename.tar.gz

Then all you need to do is run the executable. I run it using an hourly
crontab to ensure that if for some reason it's not running, it starts
correctly. Seti recommend that you don't put it in a while(1) loop as if
for some reason the master server is unavailable, you'll keep pounding the
server heavily. Remember that you do have to run it interactively the first
time in  order to setup your account, so make sure that you do run it from
the command line the first time.

If you want to watch how you're doing under X, and you don't want to cause
seti to take precedence over everything on your machine, use the following:

[you at yourhost]# ./setiathome --nice 19 --graphics
[you at yourhost]# ./xsetiathome

Seb.