[thechat] LOTR locations

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Fri Jan 4 15:03:30 CST 2002

On 02:44 PM 1/4/2002, Salvatore Palmisano said to me:
>DVDs are encoded for specific regions, similar to the NTSC and PAL video
>formats (I think).
>Here's some more information:
>http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html

Actually, it was originally designed with copy protection in mind, but like
most of the other various measures, there are workarounds.  As usual, it
hurts legitimate users and doesn't affect piracy in the slightest.

Here's another URL:
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/articles/pcdvd_guide9b.html

>Once you buy a DVD player you'll never want to own another VHS tape again.
>We took the plunge a few years ago and never looked back.  Absolutely love
>DVDs.

Very true.  The increase in the quality of the movie alone is well worth
the purchase, let alone the other features that come with them (when DVDs
are done correctly, that is - I hate buying a DVD to find the only "extra"
is the trailer).

I plan on auctioning off most of my VHS tapes at some point this year
(while I can still get something for them). Or maybe not, they'll probably
be collectors items someday. :)

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/