[thechat] apple hootenanny

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon Jan 7 05:29:26 CST 2002

On Monday, January 7, 2002, at 07:09  am, mccreath wrote:

> Many American (and I guess Canadian) publications put a later date than
> the
> actual publication date on their covers. I think it stems from the old
> days
> when mail could take up to a week to cross the country, but I'm not
> sure. At
> any rate, many have hung onto the tradition, so you get Jan 14's issue
> on
> Jan 7 or the February issue in January.

Traditionally, magazines were dated by the date they should
come *off* the shelves (like a 'best before' date), so you'd get
February's edition some time towards the end of December,
and be able to buy it right through January, until the March
edition came out.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,