[thechat] NSSB to define *web skillz*!

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Mon Jan 7 13:33:15 CST 2002

Howdy Gang,

Interesting day here at the ranch!

I came back from lunch today to find voice mail, (with email follow-up),
asking me to participate in a focus group up in Dallas next week.  It
turns out that the National Skills Standards Board, (established by
Congress in '94), has been tasked with defining job skills in Networking
Operations, Programming, Internet Operations and Maintenance, Database
Development and Administration, Field Operations, and Technical Support.

They are working with the Computing Technology Industry Association
(CompTIA).  {Hmmmm ... one of those "vendor-neutral" certification
outfits ... Interesting!}

Our task in the focus group seems to be to review and revise the
'working drafts' they already have of critical work functions, key
activities, technical knowledge and skill sets.

.... being from out-of-town and all ... obviously I are an exspurt!

Let's see now, web job skills would cover:

* the ability to drink vast quantities of alcohol,
* the ability to consume very spicy curry without clogging more than 3
keyboard keez.

.... have I missed anything?

RonL.

[There will be similar focus group sessions in Atlanta, Chicago, and
Hillsboro, Or.]