[thechat] Hillsboro Oregon??

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Mon Jan 7 15:43:04 CST 2002

Hi Miriam,

Hmmm ... I guess my first post didn't arrive yet.

[recap: in '94 Congress created the National Skills Standards Act (I
think through the Department of Labor).  The NSSB is working with
CompTIA, (Computing Technology Industry Association), to define job
skills, critical work functions, occupational-technical knowledge in six
job concentrations: Networking Operations, Programming, Internet
Operations and Maintenance, Database Development and Administration,
Field Operations, and Technical Support.  From mid-Jan thru Feb they
will hold focus groups in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, and Hillsboro, Ore.]

They've drawn up 'rough drafts' that the focus group sessions will
refine.

I've been asked to attend the Dallas session.  I plan to go.  I'm
supposed to get a call or an email in the next 24 hours with a TN and a
passcode to a federal travel agency to set up my free flight to 'the big
D'.

I told these folks I had friends in the "Chicago/Milwaukee" and
"Eugene/Portland" areas ... cuz I ain't too sure about Atlanta.  ;-)
They didn't say anything about Chi-town - so that session may be full.
They DID say they were interested in getting more Oregoners ... and
asked if I knew any Network wizards in the Dallas/Houston area.

 From my brief conversations with them they seem to be light on
"Intranet" folks - so they may be more interested in that.  [I think my
company will also be represented at the Atlanta session - but I don't
know who will be going.]

I'll pass on the contact email address and some details to anyone who
wants - offline.

RonL.