[thechat] Time 'leak' and iPhoto

cspruck at mindspring.com cspruck at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 7 18:32:41 CST 2002

thechat at lists.evolt.org wrote:

>> Everyone expected a "Steve Meltdown", so maybe in the face of that >> he's trying to play it cool.

>OTOH, it would be a pretty significant blunder for a major >publication that has a fair amount of web experience by now.

>I'm leaning towards leak, but I'm not convinced entirely.

I think this was entirely planned, although Jobs probably had to resign himself to the timing. The keynote was supposed to be Tuesday, but it was moved up to today, last week I think. I bet Time told him, "We'll give you the coverage if you want to have it hit close to the expo, but it goes out Sunday night.", hence the move-up on the keynote. The magazine cover is dated Jan. 14th, and Jobs obviously knew about the interview, so instead of lagging by a week, he took what was offered. The window of availability on the Time Canada site was actually pretty short from late last night until sometime before early morning EST. All in all, it seems like Time wanted the timing with the Expo and Jobs was OK with it - it would be pretty anti-climactic for both parties to have the big cover story a week after the new iMac was old news.

Just my USD$0.02,
Chris