[thechat] What Linux Apps WAS: Now what!

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Wed Jan 9 08:19:54 CST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 11:21, Mike King wrote:
> Right, I'm intrigued to find out what people use on Linux for thier 'core'
> programs... by that I mean:
>
> email

Evolution (beta) because, like GC, I have MDK8.1 and
there aren't any fscking RPMs at all for anything for
8.1 yet (rant over)

> browsers

Moz 0.9.4

> news reader

Pan (no contest)

> irc client

KVirc

> instant message client (all types icq/yahoo/aim etc)

Gabber.  If you don't have a Jabber account yet you're
the ENEMY, Mike, you hear me?  :-)

> word processor, spreadsheet or office style packages.

I've got StarOffice 5.2 and KOffice installed but don't
often use this stuff any more.  StarOffice works, though,
pretty much just as well as anything on Windows

> I'm not completely ready to swap over yet, 'cause I keep killing any linux
> box that I use by playing with it too much (but that's how I learnt
> DOS/Win3.1/Windows98/WinNT/Win2k... so I'm not giving up.)

Yeah, this thing's annoying the shit out of me atm because
it set up a /usr on its own partition which is now full...
which is unbelievably stupid.

Even so, I'd uninstall 2K today *if* I could run DW on it.
I know it ain't cool but it's fucking useful to have around
sometimes.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com