Fwd: [thechat] Silk?

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Thu Jan 10 14:35:02 CST 2002

Erika Meyer wrote:

> mmm.  lard.

lard indeed!
http://www.google.com/search?q=lard+mexican+cooking comes up with some
interesting facts about lard. I was always told that lard is bad, but
that for some things (notably tortillas) you can't do without it. Though
my mom now has some magic technique for non-lard tortillas (I think she
uses shortening now? They're not as flexible, but still pretty good.

No substitute for a proper fresh tortilla though.

Anyway...

I found this quote on http://lomexicano.com/faqmexicanfood.htm -- "It
should also be noted that, despite the connotations of its name, lard
actually contains less saturated fat than butter." -- anyone know if
this is correct?

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>