[thechat] Something Else...Sci-Fi I Guess (Was: Silk?)

Bruce Heerssen bruce at heerssen.com
Fri Jan 11 08:54:02 CST 2002

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:

>Gee Scott,

Actually, RonL wrote that, but my email client says otherwise. Hmm... Oh
well.

<snip>

>RonL.
>(Who spent quite a bit of time today trying to research what he suspects
>is a widely spread [in Texas anyway] urban myth that (a) only Texas is
>allowed to fly their State flag at the same height as the US flag, and
>(b) that the Texas State Capitol building is the only state capitol
>building taller than the US capitol.)

a) While there is no enforceable rule either way, custom says that state
flags should be either smaller, or flown lower, than the U.S. flag. Only
Texas gets away with flying it's flag at the same height.

b) To the best of my knowledge, this is true.

Other interesting facts about Texas:

- Texas is the only state to have been it's own nation before joining
the union.
- Texas still maintains the right to leave the union. That was a
condition of joining in the first place.
- The word 'Texas' comes from the Native American (I forget which tribe)
word 'Tejas', which means 'friends' or 'friend'. Quite ironic
considering the fate of Native Americans that previously populated the area.

-Bruce