[thechat] Something Else...Sci-Fi I Guess (Was: Silk?)

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Fri Jan 11 09:22:56 CST 2002

On 08:50 AM 1/11/2002, Bruce Heerssen said to me:
>Other interesting facts about Texas:
>
>- Texas is the only state to have been it's own nation before joining the
>union.

Well, technically, Hawaii was an independent nation, and many people argue
that California was, too...

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/1029/

>- Texas still maintains the right to leave the union. That was a condition
>of joining in the first place.

Yeah, because technically, the annexation of Texas was unconstitutional,
but it appeased the hardliners. (But some people just can't let
go...*cough*...http://www.texasrepublic.com/)

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/editorial/97/05/01/brock.0-1.html

>- The word 'Texas' comes from the Native American (I forget which tribe)
>word 'Tejas', which means 'friends' or 'friend'. Quite ironic considering
>the fate of Native Americans that previously populated the area.

Actually, "Tejas" is Spanish.  It was a variant of "Tayshas" (which was the
Caddo Indian word for "friend").

http://www.tejascafe.com/
http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/TT/pft4.html

When I was in Elementary School, we had to learn all this stuff. :)

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/