[thechat] Something Else...Sci-Fi I Guess (Was: Silk?)

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Jan 11 14:55:02 CST 2002

On 11 Jan 2002 at 9:41, martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.c posted a message
which said:

> (Who spent quite a bit of time today trying to research what he suspects
> is a widely spread [in Texas anyway] urban myth that (a) only Texas is
> allowed to fly their State flag at the same height as the US flag, and

The folks on alt.folklore.urban point out that an urban legend need not
be false. What *is* necessary is that it morphs, and it's desirable
that it be a morality tale.

US law [36 US 10 p 175(c)] says that you can fly *any* state flag equal
in height to the US flag, but only the UN flag can be flown *above* the
stars and stripes.

* (c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the
same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America,
except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when
the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services
for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the
United Nations or any other national or international flag equal,
above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place
of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States
or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this
section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore
followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of
superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of
equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States
at the headquarters of the United Nations.

> (b) that the Texas State Capitol building is the only state capitol
> building taller than the US capitol.)

Actually, the Colorado state capital building towers over both of them
by thousands of feet.

> Texas still maintains the right to leave the union. That was
> a condition of joining in the first place.

The Texas Admission Act, signed by Polk in December 1845,
contained no such provision.  Texas tried to secede in 1861.
They were forcibly required to remain a part of the US.

Texas *did* get a provision that said that they could split into as
many as five states, with the approval of the people of Texas and the
Congress. However, the US Constitution allows *any* state to split into
multiple states, with the consent of the people of that state and the
Congress.

deke

--------
We are the parents our people warned us about....