[thechat] Tex. State Capitol Vs. La. State Capitol...

matthew garrett matthew.garrett at snet.net
Sat Jan 12 10:09:42 CST 2002

> Heh.  It surprises me not a jot that the taller capitol is in a state
> bordering on Texas.

The current Louisiana State Capitol was built in the 1930's under the
leadership of the legendary Huey P. Long - who was later shot to death in
the very same building (think he was a US Senator by then). You can still
see bullet holes in the wall, but I think they're from the police gunning
down the assassin - not sure about that.

The old one was pretty interesting looking:
<http://www.sec.state.la.us/museums/osc/osc/osc-index.htm>
<http://www.theadvocate.com/news/story.asp?storyid=11912>

> The State Capitol here compares favorably only to weathered goose
> droppings:
>
> http://www.odot.state.or.us/eshtm/cap.htm

That Oregon one looks like a mausoleum at first glance.

matt