[thechat] Geocaching...

dave mclean dave at members.evolt.org
Mon Jan 14 00:28:29 CST 2002

Hey y'all,

Kind of quiet in here, so thought I'd throw something in for good fun.

This weekend I tried out a "new" sport that is really fun and reminds me of
the days when I was a kid and wanted to find hidden treasure. Geocaching
(http://www.geocaching.com/) is a sport wher you use your GPS to find hidden
cache's of small toys, trinkets, CDs, etc. Basically you log on to the Web
site and find a cache nearby that you want to find.  Punch it into your GPS
and go hunting. It's great exercise.

The real challenge is once you've reached the location of the Lat. and Long.
co-ordinates, you're still faced with trying to find a hidden container full
of loot. Terrain can be challenging, so can snow cover and rivers. Some
co-ords are very close from one side of a river to the other, difficult if
there isn't a bridge for many kilometres.

Apparently there are 10000+ caches world-wide in over 95 countries. That
means for me I've got 2 down and 10000+ to go.  Yikes.

Has anyone else tried this or something similar?

-d

____
damclean 403.708.6215
dave at members.evolt.org