[thechat] Alternative to WinXP...?

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 17 17:10:28 CST 2002

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 10:13  pm, Dan C wrote:

>> what would tempt me to move to XP from

Funnily enough, I've been thinking the same thoughts today
because I'm sick fed up of the instability of 98.

> The exact same things that would motivate you to move to 2k, which is NT
> 5.0, and XP is 5.1. All you _really_ get in XP are several GUI tweaks,
> and a
> TON of integrated "features" that any sensible user has to spend time
> removing. Oh, and you get DOS. But for nearly all desktop purposes, DOS
> has
> been phased out. I would strongly reccomend upgrading to 2k Pro, but
> NOT XP.
> The security and integration issues are just too great, and there are no
> killer features that 2k lacks.

True. Except that 2k is about 4 times the price of XP Home.

Until I get the educational discounts in around 4 years time,
I'm going to have to go the affordable way.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,