[thechat] Australian Summer

Isaac Forman isaac at triplezero.com.au
Thu Jan 17 23:31:16 CST 2002

I know that most of these sound like exaggerations, but only a couple are.
Hot weather in Australia (especially South Australia, where the sun is
brutal) is harsh.

---

You know you're in an Australian Summer when...

Your feet blister through your double pluggers whilst standing on the
asphalt.

The only way to get from the car park to the water at the beach is to run
two meters at a time and then jump on the nearest towel or person or dog or
patch of vegetation until you get to the water.

When your paddle pop melts down your arm before you can take the paper
wrapper off.

The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

The temperature drops below 35C and you feel a little chilly.

You discover that in February it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.

You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.

You develop a fear of metal car door handles.

You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up
lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

You realise that asphalt has a liquid state.

Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying
hard-boiled eggs.

The cows are giving evaporated milk.

The trees are whistling for the dogs.