[thechat] P.o.Ws - Thought this was interesting...

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Sun Jan 27 17:49:00 CST 2002

On 27 Jan 2002 at 18:14, Ron White posted a message which said:

> Uh, the US has basically only had a "foreign policy" for a little over a
> hundred years, hardly centuries. I think you are confusing the US with
> your own country...

The Monroe Doctrine wasn't "foreign policy"?

These days, US foreign policy has changed from "American for Americans"
to "Do as I say, not as I do".

- If we have military troops on Chinese soil, we want them and their
plane returned within days.  If we have a little child, who is a
civilian, on US soil, we keep him from rejoining his family for most of
a year.

- If someone else is nasty to their own citizens, in a manner that
complies with their own laws, we call it a human rights violation, and
refuse to let our athletes compete in their olympics, or we embargo
grain so that their country starves. If we violate our own laws and the
Geneva Convention we've signed, and are nasty to people we capture,
other countries are supposed to ignore that.

deke

--------
We are the parents our people warned us about....