[thechat] P.o.Ws - Thought this was interesting...

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon Jan 28 01:10:00 CST 2002

On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 04:01  am, Ron White wrote:

> <>
> 3) More of our citizens are prepared to say how much our
>      policies suck
> <>
> Again not when you were the dominant World power.

Not actually true. The state did a nice line in repressing it
though. Which is why Tom Payne lived in France & America
for most of his life.

> <>
> 4) We don't therefore have as many blinkers about how we're
>      perceived by the world at large, so tend to behave less badly[1]
>      we see the results more clearly. Why do terrorists attack? Because
>      they hate. Why do they hate..? Claiming moral superiority while
>      ignoring the Geneva Convention when it suits is hardly going to
>      help.
> <>
> Wasn't it the Brits who coined the phrase "helping our little brown
> brothers"?

Not heard that one before.

> <>
> 5) We mostly stopped doing that shit in the period between the
>      Boer War and when we left India.
> <>
> Well seeing as how England/Britain was a nation for what, close to 800
> or so
> years before they started acting "decent" I'd say we're right on
> track...

Act of Union: 1707
Fifty years before that, England was still having civil wars over
whether democracy was A Good Thing.

Didn't America make some claims to having *learned* how not to
do things..?

> :-)

dat too

Martin