[thechat] P.o.Ws - Thought this was interesting...

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Jan 29 01:14:00 CST 2002

At 10:18 PM 1/28/2002 -0700, dave mclean expounded...
>On 2002.01.28 15:17, Ron White wrote:
>
> > We'd be a lot better educated country if we paid teachers what they should
> > be making instead of the pittance that we currently do. Then maybe more of
> > the best and the brightest would go into the profession...
>
>I agree 100%.  WTF is wrong with the world's pay scale?

I formulated a theory awhile ago that I really haven't seen disproved
yet.  It seems to me that the amount of money that a job pays is inversely
proportional to the amount of contact/service that they provide to other
humans.

This puts teachers, social workers, and daycare providers at the bottom of
the pay scale.

And it puts programmers, CEO's, scientists, etc., much farther up.

Of course there are many exceptions to the rule (industrial manufacturing
workers for instance), but within industry segments and across broad swaths
of industries, it seems to hold true.

I get the feeling that we don't value working with people because it's
supposed to be "easy" due to the fact that we are people too.  Working with
machines (especially computers) is supposed to be "hard" because they're
different than us.  Pretty fucked up if you ask me.

Anyway, I feel bad for all of the hardworking early childhood education
folks who make 8.50 an hour.  I'm not ready to give up my hourly wage and
swap them, but I would like to see things even out a bit wage-wise.  And of
course, the first place to start would be with CEO's who earn thousands of
times more per year than their workers.  But that's another rant.

Judah