[thechat] maintaining foreign code versus shrinkwrap

rudy937 rudy937 at rogers.com
Tue Jan 29 13:11:07 CST 2002

doing some research on the web looking at how to market web development
services that include database support, i found a site (which shall remain
nameless) which had a page that lists their many services including graphic
design, web development, search engine submission, et cetera, as well as the
following --

   ASP Modifications

   We are able to do ASP modifications to existing sites.
   Our billable rate for ASP modifications is $55/hr.
   ASP modifications can be fairly expensive and difficult
   to quote an exact price due to the fact that any new
   programmer must first look at and understand the majority
   of the code of the site in order to gain an understanding
   of the entire infrastructure of the site. If this step
   is skipped, small changes to one portion of code on one
   page can effect many other functions which depend on
   certain variables. Once all site code is reviewed we
   are able to quote a fairly accurate price and generally
   complete the modification rapidly. When doing ASP
   modifications, not only is the actual programming time
   billable but the time spent reviewing existing code
   prior to making any changes is billable.

talk about covering your ass -- "it'll cost a lot, and we'll look at it but
can't quote until we've looked at it, and then we'll bill you for doing it,
and also for all the time we spent looking at it, too"

to be completely fair, you can just as easily substitute Cold Fusion where
it says ASP and the paragraph would still be true

i had just never seen anybody go to such lengths before to prepare the
client for the sticker shock of maintaining foreign code

no wonder shrinkwrap products that let you configure your own site are
popular

is anybody here using blogger pro?  radio 8?  what are those things?  where
do they run?

rudy