[thechat] Fucked Up US Educational System.

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Jan 29 14:41:00 CST 2002

an interesting article.  I agree with much though I'd take issue with
some of what she says, mostly about "tracking," but only because I
was trained to teach in a certain way, and I do believe that
cooperative learning (& grouping mixed abilities) can work if handled
well.... and if class size is small enough.  Also, some kids are
strong in certain areas while other kids are strong in others.

I am somewhat familiar with Prior Lake area and I know that it is
demographically pretty homogeneous which has a certain effect on how
things work...

It is interesting, though.  I can remember going to the Gymnasium in
Germany, which is where college-bound students were sent from age
11... and hearing discussions about the "Gemeinschulen" which were
more like American High Schools... all students attend regardless of
ability.  Most people seemed to feel that such schools were not
effective.

Separating college-bound students from trade-bound students seems a
bit harsh to our US notions of equality, and I would indeed expect
that in a diverse place like the US, racism would be a big hurdle.
But I dunno, maybe it's more realistic & fairer to everyone.

& that takes us back to issues of work, class, & compensation...

gee, am I chatty today.

& it's snowing outside.